About the Tutor
Darien Pritchard has been a bodyworker and massage tutor for 40 years, and is influenced by his study of Yoga, T'ai Chi, creative dance and the Feldenkrais Method® of movement awareness. He is a former director of anatomy and physiology tuition at MTI, a post he held for six years. He also served on the inaugural executive of the General Council for Massage Therapy (GCMT) to which MTI is affiliated.
Darien established and ran the Massage Study Centre in South Australia (1981-89) and the Cardiff School of Massage, South Wales (1991 - 2002). He taught massage modules on a university degree course (2003-08) in Complementary Therapies. He is a guest teacher on the practitioner training course at the Royal National College for the Blind at Hereford.
Darien has run professional development workshops for massage practitioners for two decades. He pioneered a focus on good body use as an integral part of massage training in the UK. He has also been a pioneer in Hands Free Massage (the skillful and sensitive use of the elbow and forearm to save the practitioner's hands, adapted from other traditions for use in Western-style massage), and was the first person to use the term 'Hands Free' Massage for this approach.
He co-authored the student textbook Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for the Massage Therapist with Su Fox, and wrote the career-maintenance reference book Dynamic Bodyuse for Effective, Strain-Free Massage.
Darien teaches a variety of weekend courses in South Wales, Bristol, Birmingham, London, Sheffield, Stroud and other parts of England. These include:
- Hands-Free Massage: using the forearm and elbow to save the practitioner's hands
- RhythmMobility®: rhythmical techniques for release, flexibility and energising
- Working Easier, Working Stronger: dynamic body use for delivering effective, strain-free massage
- Seated Massage: Western-style massage on clothed clients in an ordinary chair and in a portable massage chair
- The SuppleSpine Programme for Back Care: combining back massage and stretches with guided exercises
- A series on Freeing the Shoulders, Releasing the Neck and Releasing the Lower Back and Hips.
One day courses include:
- Massage Without Oil: effective 'dry' massage, including through clothing
- SubtleStretch: sensitively applied stretches for calming and muscle release
- Creativity in Massage: refresh and enliven your massage sessions
- The Art of Touch: using touch skillfully for nurturing massage.
He teaches longer training courses in Bristol and Sheffield:
- Extensive RhythmMobility® training (5 weekends)
- Extensive Hands Free Massage training (4 weekends).