Conference: Bristol 2019
The magnificent setting of Engineers House in Bristol played host to this year’s MTI conference. In true MTI tradition the conference brought richness by connecting different practices, and thereby providing opportunities for delegates to consolidate their knowledge and extend their learning. Dr Toh Wong opened the conference in fine form, talking about the importance of an integrative health agenda. During his keynote address, he used the concept of entertainment to demonstrate how synchronicity happens in nature. This provided the perfect backdrop for the conference theme which focused on sustaining a happy and healthy career in massage therapy.
As well as the all-day First Aid course, morning workshops followed that enabled delegates to practise Hands Free Massage, the Alexander Technique, build confidence, learn how to become a tutor, hold healthy boundaries and focus on reflective practices as part of supervision.
A scrumptious lunch followed and delegates were able to visit the many exhibitor stands to find out more about resources, products, and new software technologies.
The afternoon sessions extended the keynote address on integrative health and used live streaming to make content accessible to those who were unable to attend in person.
Other workshops focused on creating a marketing plan, hospital massage, fertility massage, prescribing exercises and included a mind, body, movement clinic.
The conference wrapped up with an amazing raffle, giving away more than £900’s worth of prizes. The day ran smoothly and efficiently, thanks mainly to Katrina Beath and Jenny Hampton, who worked tirelessly to ensure that all aspects of the conference were managed and maintained.
It is fitting to know that the MTI values and ethos underlie all that we do. We look forward, with anticipation, to the 2020 conference and know it will continue to provide attendees with purposeful learning and career development opportunities.
See you next year in Solihull!
Thank you to the following workshop leaders
- Earle Abrahamson – Integrated Health
- Tim Allardyce – Exercise Prescription
- Gerry Andrews – Integrated Health
- Alex Brazkiewicz – Emergency First Aid for Massage Therapists
- James Brown – Limitless Confidence
- Sharon Bull – Supervision as Self Care
- Sarah Cohen – Going Into Teaching
- Frances Collier – Mind, Body & Movement Clinic
- Katherine Creighton Crook – Boundaries: Creating and Enforcing them with Kindness and Create your 90 Day Marketing Plan
- Craig Foden – Prolong your Massage Career with Hands Free
- Belinda May – Alexander Technique – Freedom and Ease for Massage Therapists
- Jane Morris – Alexander Technique – Freedom and Ease for Massage Therapists
- Jennie Parke Matheson – Going Into Teaching and Massage for Hospitals and Hospices
- Darien Pritchard – Prolong your Massage Career with Hands Free
- Leora Sharp – Prolong your Massage Career with Hands Free
- Clare Spink – Womb and Fertility Massage Therapy
- Dr Toh Wong – Keynote Event on Integrated Health